Friday, April 16, 2010

Coast Rolling

No, I haven't been to the beach since my last post. And neither have I been to an amusement park and tried the roller coasters. As much as it would be great to have done both, the fact still remains that my life right now still exempts me from experiencing such nirvana.

This would be my first "valid" post in four days, and if you're wondering why the adjective 'valid' ever came into the picture, that explanation shall be more than enough to suffice any questions on my whereabouts for the past few days.

To tell you honestly, the week started out with us receiving a notification from our school's Office of Student Affairs that in order for us to proceed with enrollment for Summer Practicum, we had to go through a seminar on Anti-Sexual Harassment. This wasn't because our batch had issues in this matter, but since we were getting into the real world through practicum, the OSA found prevention to be the better option than cure. But it didn't really matter that much - I didn't listen like I should. And if there was at least anything learned in that seminar, it was that it's always a bad idea to pack more than seventy percent of our batch into the ILC room - the heat kills.

That day was followed by Summer enrollment. To the information of everyone, there was an improvement in the system of how students enroll in the university. To go into the specifics of these improvements would be bad - it's always an adventure to do something new for the first time, and I wouldn't want to deprive you from such an experience.

I finished my enrollment early on the second day, after which I decided to just hang around school and be with my batchmates as they continued on with their responsibilities.

The following day had me at the campus at mid-morning, because our Summer Practicum adviser, Prof. Pauline Wade, wanted to meet us by noon time and inform us of our further requirements for the subject. The fun part of the day came after the meeting ended, wherein Gabby and I were supposed to have lunch but ended up with a welcome addition - Ian Virrey. The three of us ate at Royal, a UP Cebu student's favorite, and there was the usual small talk and the occassional jokes. What really made it memorable was that Ian and I were somehow ganging up on Gabby as we lambasted her with comments about her lost laptop (with all good intentions, I must say). Add to that Ian's really hilarious stories, especially the one of her cousin and her dad, and our hour-and-a-half stay at Royal became one such memorable experience. Heck, we enjoyed it so much there were tears of joy running down someone's face even before we left. I'll leave it to you to guess who that person was.

So I took the day off from leaving the house yesterday, and decided to start with studying Content Management Systems (CMS) such as Drupal, Joomla!, and Wordpress. I also finished setting up my localhost server using Wampserver, and I'm planning on creating a new website that I'd like to try out first locally before launching it on to the web.

Honestly, the last time I felt this enthusiastic was way back four years ago during our summer break before senior year. It was there that I decided to read ahead and study on HTML/CSS, knowing it would be useful once the schoolyear started. Right now, it's more focused on CMS and it's features. But still, that same feeling is something I always get to smile at whenever it passes through my thoughts, simply because there is pleasure in studying new things, and even greater pleasure when you enjoy doing it.

For today, we finally had that much awaited final interview with Alliance Software, and as much as we're assuming that we've already been accepted in their fold, we're still crossing our fingers in the hopes that all will be well. If I do get to be accepted, I will carry on this medical website a friend and I are working on, and at the same time work at Alliance. They both pay, and I'm not referring to economic resources. Experience is something that you can never have enough of, and it is that thought I'll be carrying on for the next few months.

All in all, my summer's going fine so far. As early as Tuesday, I might already be working in a company that I believe is competitive enough to teach us the bumps of the industry's real world situation. Put in the fact that I'm not feeling stressed at all, and things might just be going in a path for the better.

As I told my two great friends just this afternoon, I hope my summer plans push through. :)

__________________________________________________
the only person you have the right to dominate is yourself.
Buzz this
| More

1 comment:

  1. roller coasters (i want)!
    *i'm guessing, si Gabby ang nihilak/niluha ..
    *Oooh~ Alliance! go Ruffy! XD

    ReplyDelete